Kisses Darling!

Monday, May 6, 2013

JANICE DICKINSON - THE PRINCE OF INDIA


This is a photograph from my portfolio. It was for the ELITE MODELS/FUJI FILM Promotional Calendar project in 1986. It was my job to come up with the concepts for the 12 months of the year, with a beauty shot and a fashion shot for each month. Plus I was to create the hair and makeup, cast the model and direct the fashion stylist. The photographer and producer was DOUGLAS DUBLER, someone I had discovered years before in Los Angeles.

For this picture Janice's skin was all painted blue, inspired by the god Lord Kirshna. I used blue liquid foundation like they use in the theater. When I first started to apply the color Janice freaked out, asking me what I was doing. But after she calmed down I lined her eyes with a gold liner on top of a turquoise shimmer powder. I used purple on her lips and fuchsia as a highlight under her darkened brows. Along with the traditional red bindi jewel between her eyebrows. And a touch of fuchsia on her cheeks.

We were very fortunate that one of our producers knew of a collection of antique Maharajas jewelry made of real diamonds, emeralds, rubies and pearls cut in the ancient flat cut. The fashion stylist CHRISTINE DE LASSUS borrowed a simple beige silk suit by MORISANE, and added a hand made brocade turban, with brocade pantaloons for the trained monkey that sat on Janice's shoulder.

For the photo shoot we went out to Queens N.Y. to a beautiful Indian Temple, where we also found strands of red and yellow flowers that had just been used in a ceremony inside the temple. I also had a pair of custom made spiked sandals for Janice to stand on (don't worry there was a metal plate between the spikes and her bare feet) that I had seen in an issue of National Geographic magazine about India. That's me, much younger and with hair down to my shoulders, going in to touch up the makeup. As you can see we had a lot of fun working with JANICE DICKINSON. And by the way, she told me she kept the blue makeup on after the shoot to show her boyfriend and they throughly enjoyed themselves that night.

 

No comments:

Blog Archive

ABOUT THIS BLOG

My photo
Manhattan, New York, United States
"Being a makeup artist is not only about applying makeup. It’s about everything around you, people, places, colors, all the things that inspire and affect your life."