Kisses Darling!

Saturday, April 20, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESSICA LANGE


Jessica Lange had just arrived in New York City in the mid 1970's after studying with Marcel Marceau in Paris. While in Paris she met Antonio Lopez, the famous fashion illustrator, and he encouraged her to try modeling. She was represented by Ford Models.

I was just starting out as a hair and makeup artist, and was shooting a lot with a photographer named Les Underhill. One day when I got to the studio I was introduced to a lovely blonde named Jessica Lange. We did some test photos that afternoon and had a very nice time.

Soon after, Les booked us both on a advertising job for some brand of German beer. Jessica was to be the barmaid holding a large tray of bottles and glasses of beer. It was my job to make her look the part. Jessica's hair was just past her chin at that time so I added a blonde fall, some false eyelashes, and created the illusion of large breasts (as she was fairly flat chested in those days) using some tape and makeup to contour and highlight her cleavage. Jessica and I loved to laugh and we cracked up over all the tricks that I used to make her look like a sexy German barmaid. She thought it was really funny.

I saw her a few more times after that, including the night Jessica and some of her friends stopped over my apartment for a little party I was having. And I still have the snapshots to prove it.

Pretty soon the media was filled with stories of the movie remake of KING KONG by Italian producer Dino De Laurentiis. Starring the debut of actress Jessica Lange in the original Fay Wray role.

Sometime later we ran into each other on the street. Jessica gave me a hug and I told her how happy I was for her. And that was the last time we saw each other. So today she is 64 years old and a multi-award winning actress of stage, film and television. Happy birthday Jessica!

No comments:

Blog Archive

ABOUT THIS BLOG

My photo
Manhattan, New York, United States
"Being a makeup artist is not only about applying makeup. It’s about everything around you, people, places, colors, all the things that inspire and affect your life."