Kisses Darling!

Saturday, March 30, 2013

MARJORIE ANDRADE SUPER STAR


I discovered Marjorie Andrade when she first moved to Los Angeles from Brazil. She had been a top junior model in Brazil, but was only 5'4" tall, so no one was interested in her in the US. In fact the day I saw her head shot in a photographers studio I happened to be working with, I asked him about this new girl, his exact words were "Forget it, she's short!" But as soon as I saw that face with those big blue eyes, small nose, perfect lips, and the lush dark hair. I knew she would be great to sell cosmetics.

I called her agency and had her come in for a go-see and I set up a test photo shoot with a then unknown photographer, that I had also discovered, Douglas Dubler. We saw that she moved well in front of the camera, and took direction well too. Marjorie looked beautiful. I started booking her for my jobs with beauty clients like MAX FACTOR and REDKEN. The clients loved her too. So we started working together all the time.

Francesco Scavullo was the photographer under contract to shoot the monthly editions of COSMOPOLITAN MAGAZINE. But at that time Cosmo had two special editions a year, that they had other photographers shoot. The Beauty Guide and The Diet and Exercise Guide. I suggested we shoot a cover try and send the photos to the art director Linda Cox. She was a friend of mine from working for the magazine when I lived in Manhattan. First we went for the Beauty Guide, shooting two different colored backdrops, one blue and one red. I styled Marjorie in fashions by Norma Kamali, did the hair and makeup and gave Marjorie ideas for the right kind of poses for the Cosmo look. Douglas sent them to New York and the blue version was picked up as the new Beauty Guide cover.

The issue sold very well, everyone was pleased and so we decided to put together a cover try for The Diet and Exercise Guide. I choose a orange bathing suit, again by Norma Kamali, and we had another winner for all of our portfolios. Now Marjorie Andrade was a double cover girl!

 

With these two national magazine covers under my belt, I suggested to Marjorie and Douglas that we submit a cover photograph to VOGUE BRAZIL. I found exquisite earrings and a necklace of coral, diamonds, and onyx, from FRED JOAILLIER of BEVERLY HILLS, to be featured on the cover.

I did Marjorie's makeup and an elegant up hair style. I directed Marjorie into the pose that I thought would work best as a cover look. Douglas photographed the shot with a couple of background color changes, and we sent them off to Brazil. Where, this time, we didn't know anyone at the magazine. We held our breath, and crossed our fingers, and to our great relief, our photo made the cover of VOGUE! Another feather in my cap as a producer and a creative director. A beautiful cover for the photographer's book. And now Marjorie could lay claim to being a VOGUE COVER GIRL!
(see photo at top of post)




When Marjorie decided to try her luck in New York she went with Elite Models, but they weren't doing anything with her, except wishing she were taller. So I introduced Marjorie to my friend Zoli at Zoli Models. He loved her and got her lot's of beauty work, plus cosmetic contracts with two major brands.


Marjorie went on to have a great career, was on several more Vogue covers, and I believe she has the distinction of being the shortest super model in modern history. And they said it couldn't be done!



 



Here is Marjorie Andrade in the most recent photo I produced of her in 2010. She is a proud mother of a handsome son and a beautiful daughter. Marjorie is the CEO of FEEL GOOD BRANDS. She designed a line of dresses called THE GODDESS COLLECTION. And is a successful entrepreneur today, always working on new projects.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in the day (circa 1980) while working as a flight attendant for American Airlines I first saw Marjorie when she boarded a flight from New York to LA. Even in her casual clothes she was striking. She was with a photographer. He had purchased two first class seats. One for him and one for the large trunk he carried his camera equipment in.
Marjorie headed for the seat he purchased for her in coach. I found this to be quite un-chivalrous to say the least, so once we took off I invited Marjorie up to the Captains Deck lounge (747s had them) where I let her stay for most of the flight. I was working so I didn’t have a lot of time to spend with her but in the little time I did get to share with her she was sweet, genuine and it must have been early in her career because she seemed really quite shy. It’s like she didn’t even realize that her smile could make you weak.
Now and again through the years I’ve wondered what ever happened to that beautiful girl and it was very nice to find your post and see that she is doing well – and still a knockout. thanks for the stroll down memory lane, mike

cheribj said...

I had the pleasure of working with Marjorie as her makeup artist around 1981 or 1982 on a Japanese calendar project in and around Los Angeles. We did 12 really cool looks. She was so beautiful and so sweet. I loved making her up. No corrective makeup needed. All my work was pure icing on the cake. So much fun to make up such a pretty face and to work with such a sweet model. No high maintenance at all! Glad to hear she is doing well.

Blog Archive

ABOUT THIS BLOG

My photo
Manhattan, New York, United States
"Being a makeup artist is not only about applying makeup. It’s about everything around you, people, places, colors, all the things that inspire and affect your life."